Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"You'd like Vienna. It's like Paris... without the French." - Michael Sheen as David Frost, Frost/Nixon

   May I say something?  Alright, I think I will.  This blog is pathetic.  Yes.  Pathetic.  Speaking of pathetic today, I had an extreme memory laps during a recital.  I'm, as my Grandma would say "gutchin' ".  (i.e. moping, stressing, depressing, not getting over it) (please excuse the spelling.  I spell it as it is pronounced, I think it is just a dialect thing.  The Toscana..ns would say it much better than my Greenwich-Napolean Grandma, thank you).   Yes.  Although, it was a tiny performance.  I know that piece so well!  I never mess up there!  I placed in a competition with that!  At least I didn't mess up then...  I don't understand, I just DON'T, but I was crying (which I also DON'T understand) and such and I later played it perfectly... after everyone left.  Oh, I really need to get over this.  I've had countless memory lapses in the past!
Hm.  What to blog about.  I'm sure you stopped reading once you read "gutchin' ".   Moving on... have any of you people watched "I, Claudius"?  (say that sentence with a Jersey accent, it is SO much better).  I'm doing a unit (yes, I am a homeschool freak.  Just one year.) on Rome.  So, I'm watching I, Claudius which is this 70's show about the Roman Emperor.. Claudius.   But not just Claudius, the people he lived through.  It begins with Caesar Augustus (previously known as Octavian), then into Tiberius, then Caligula, and finally Claudius. (Though I'm still on Augustus) It is fabulously acted by a cast of Shakespearean actors, including the great basso Patrick Stewart. (Perhaps better known as Star Trek's Captain Jean-Luc Picard)  Though, I haven't gotten to his part yet!  He's Sejanus, apparently.  You should really watch it though.  I thought it sounded uninteresting too.  But the Romans were all so bonkers and vicious, it makes it entertaining.  It is beautifully done.  Honestly, watch an episode.  If your going to watch one, I'd say start with the first just to understand, but then you should watch two because the first episode isn't very good.

That's all I think.  I saw quite a few movies this week.  I'll review them in short:

Up in the Air (2009):  What can I say about this movie?  Critically acclaimed, attacked (positively, well didn't win.  But still) by the the Oscars, and other, lesser, award shows.  It was very, very good.  Witty through out, George Clooney was perfect for that role, Vera Farmiga was also perfect, and Anna Kendrick is just so damn cute.  The ending was bittersweet.  But hey!  Very unexpected.  A must-see.  But, you should know that.  Though not for the kiddies!  (I'm exempt from that, thanks)  Vera Farmiga's naked ass randomly goes onto the screen.  They also exercise expletives throughout the film, but we live in the 21st century!  What can we ask for?  MUST-SEE

Frost/Nixon (2008):  See it.  Just go.  See it, just now.  Stop reading this, and go rent this movie.  Or buy it.  Just GO.  Frank Langella is INCREDIBLE.  Absolutely INCREDIBLE.  BLOODY INCREDIBLE.  I just love Michael Sheen.  He is just so charismatic and fits Frost so well.  I had low expectations for this movie, despite it's Oscar buzz back in the ancient days of 2008.  It well surpassed them.  GO SEE IT.

Driving Miss Daisy (1989):  This is one of the sweetest movies I have ever seen.  Despite my minimal years,  I have seen A LOT of movies.  Morgan Freeman never fails to impress and surprise again and again.  Jessica Tandy played it so well.  If you don't know this movie, it is about Jessica Tandy, Miss Daisy and old stubborn Jewish woman who wants to continue doing things for herself, despite her age and inability to do these things.  When she gets into a car accident her son (Dan Aykroyd; also very, very good) hires a chauffeur, Hoke, Morgan Freeman.  It plays out from there.  This movie is so sweet and so lovable.  Another bittersweet ending, but I seem to love those.

That is all.  Love you nonexistants!

Addio,

Violetta

P.S.  I would like to share how much the Oscars SUCKED this year.  Both the show itself and the winners.  I really should have done a ballot contest, I got everything right!  As did the rest of the world.  I won't even mention Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin's little shtick.  Hitler memorabilia?  We're all Jews?  "Damn"  Hellen Mirren?  No.   

No comments:

Post a Comment