Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"Life's candy and the sun's a ball a' butta' " - Fanny Brice, Funny Girl (1968)

I KNOW nobody reads this, well. No one follows it. If you are reading this, please click that little follow button over there in the corner! It would really encourage me to actually blog. Well, I do like it. It makes me feel like I'm not just talking to myself. Regardless. I feel it is my duty as a movie fanatic to see Where the Wild Things Are. It's quite hyped up. "Parents are worried it is too scary to bring their kids to." according to trusty radio. They probably smothered the book (in a bad way, in this case), but all the Harry Potter movies did, and, well, I still saw them! Well, that isn't to say I liked them. So, might as well. I saw Psycho yesterday. Funny Girl the day before. They are definitely related (please, note the sarcasm). Funny Girl was spectacular. Barbra Streisand is just a joy to watch, thank god she took that Oscar that year. (fact: tied with Katharine Hepburn (The Lion in Winter), second tie in Oscar history, first exact tie (first being Frederic March (Jr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde) and Wallace Beery (The Champ) in 1932, one vote apart.) ). I believe I just did a double parentheses. Breaking barriers here, being rebellious. Anyway. Omar Shariff, just his elegance and just, he is so amazing. The only actor who can pull off a mustache, aside from almost if not equally classy, Clark Gable. If you haven't seen Funny Girl, you must (must, must, MUST) see it now. Psycho has now made my top ten list as well. I won't spoil anything. But it has the best twist ending, and goes against all horror-movie-structure. (You know, the boyfriend dies last, the comic relief second, the unfortunate bystander first, da dum, da, da, and so on.)

If you interested, which I can only hope you are. Here is a list of movies you MUST SEE. Note: there are bound to be more, I just am still watching.

Classics
Psycho (1960)
Funny Girl (1968)
Notorious (1946)
Gone With the Wind (1939)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Breakfast At Tiffany's (1961)
Two For the Road (1967)
Funny Face (1957)
Charade (1963)
Roman Holiday (1953)
Sabrina (1954)
My Fair Lady (1964)
Guys and Dolls (1955)
High Society (1956)
Philadelphia Story (1940)

etc., etc. that would be just a brief list. Most anything Hepburn (Audrey & Katharine), Grace Kelly, Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra, you know the usual. I'll list more movies I honor, modern ones perhaps. (I appear to have dawdled away and well. Sidetracked. So easy for me, I didn't finish.)

Are these blogs not so interesting? Are you just SO glad your following this? Oh wait BUT YOUR NOT. So get to it, please. Oh, Sabrina is truly amazing. You must see that one if you see none others. Well and the Hitchcock gems. OH. And I'm going to start having a quote of the day. As my title. You see today's. It's from Funny Girl. Jesus this is stream of conscience.

Ti amo e ciao,

Violetta

No comments:

Post a Comment