Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Topic That Must Not Be Named.

Okay, so Vivi is giving up posting for a little bit (already) so it is my duty to our lack of readers to post in her place. And since she ranted about harp last time and introduced the offensive fact that I sing opera (and since I do steal all of her ideas), I will talk about opera (Nooo! Don't run away!). This may follow the stereotypical argument format that all opera lovers pose, but I promise to provide sufficient reasons for my opinions (I do hope that statements such as "Justin Timberlake sucks" are qualified as sufficient for you).
First of all, opera is extremely under appreciated in the world of music. Vivi will back me up on this (although she may be a little biased considering the fact that her mother is an opera singer). When most *ignorant* people picture opera, they think of fat ladies in elaborate costumes wailing at the top of their lungs, and a dark, crowded hall of people who somehow enjoy it (which makes them totally misinformed when you face the fact that that image is, in reality, Alicia Keys). Opera does take a lot of talent, energy and time to learn (please don't think that I mean that in a self-righteous way, as I haven't even come close to thinking about reaching the level of professional singers– we are always learning).
Though some operas may fit the stereotype (*cough* WAGNER *cough*), many are sweet, lyrical pieces with hummable tunes. I sing opera because it happens to be the style that my teacher thinks I am best at. I have a remarkably loud sound and opera helps that sound reach it's full potential (well, I am Italian and Irish, of course I have a loud sound). If any of you nonexistent readers are thinking that I am crazy (which I am, but for other reasons) for liking this music, you have obviously not heard Puccini. His operas are beautiful and the music alone is enough to make you cry (well maybe not in Turandot, as it has a happy ending which is the screwiest thing in the world).
The only thing cliche about operas are the story-lines. I know what you're thinking. "Well that's like the whole freaking thing, so screw that." No, it's not. Most singers can't act anyway (I, however, am the exception *prima donna pose* haha, just kidding), so if you're thinking it's like a musical, then back off. But I will be gracious enough to provide the formula for an opera.

Act I: Boy meets girl. Boy and girl fall in love at first sight. Boy and girl go happily into the sunset. (NOT)
Act II, option A: Problem is presented. Boy and girl try to find a way to be together. Boy almost gets mortally wounded.
Act II, option B: Problem is presented. Boy and girl try to find a way to be together. Girl gets raped.
Act III, option A: Problem forces itself between boy and girl. Meanwhile, boy gets murdered.
Act III, option B: Problem forces itself between boy and girl. Girl commits suicide and has a looooong death scene, singing a heartbreaking melody as she chokes on her own blood.

Sound familiar? Maybe a little like Romeo and Juliet? You'd be surprised how creative some of these opera writers can get though. Haha. But there are operas that go against this and have a *gasp* happy ending (believe me, if you give yourself a chance, you'll grow to love these depressing finales). If you want something lighter, try The Magic Flute or Turandot. Though Puccini did sort of typecast these operas.
. . . . .
Oh wow. This got long. Sorry. Not that anyone's reading this. I have a lot more to say, I just won't say it now. It'll probably leak in in some of my future entries. Ick. Leak. I don't like that word. It's all. . . leaky. Meh. Anyway!
Ciao!
Anna

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I am re-reading all of your guys's posts (Because I have no life and am grounded and have no friends) and re-read this comment right above me as well and daaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnnn that sounds bitchy (even for me). So I'm just gonna click that little trash can next to it and hope to gawd that you never read it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete